Sunday, December 20, 2015

Three free stories worth reading



Two weeks ago somebody "liked" my stories on written by you. I was curious to see who that was and had a look at his blog.

www.anthonyvicino.com






















I'm not a fan of science fiction, but the idea of getting free stories just for signing up for his blog was appealing. But before doing so I wanted to know more. And spent the next two hours reading his blog with a lot of helpfull tips for writers, nice videos, some reviews. It was really entertaining. so I decided to give his books a chance ad signed up.

Actually there are 4 different stories that show great writing talent combined with unbelievable imagination.

First I read -



a well crafted story about guilt and what it can do to our mind.






Next was  that's classical sci-fi stuff, but the writing took me in. 

Then of course I couldn't stop myself and read the two stories Hindsight and Infidelity. The first one is written backwards and is somewhat tragic whereas the second is macabre and funny. Both reminded me of Roald Dahl's short stories.







Four stories, four fast and very entertaining but also thought-provoking reads. I read them all within two days.



Anthony might have liked my reviews . He decided to send me his new novella



That's my short review:

Anthony's excellent writing and awesome inner monologue will keep you reading this short novella in one sitting. The story about love above all boundaries has a very unusual setting showing the unlimited imagination of it's author where "purgatory" is not what you expect it to be.

I want to thank Anthony for giving me this free copy, explicitly without the expectation of a review, because he knows that I'm not a sci-fi fan.


If I find more books like his or Michael's Edge of God I might change my opinion about science fiction...

1 comment:

  1. I think a lot of people are turned off by the idea of science fiction (scifi) because they assume that means they have to read dense science and math to find the thin story underneath, but that depends on the author. The 'Ship Who Sang' series by Anne McCaffrey are set in the far future where science has the capability to so fully connect a person's brain that they actually become a space ship (or something else). That, though, is the backdrop to what are really a series of love stories. You don't have to care about the science at all, really, except to realize and accept that the 'lovers' are kept forever apart because one is encapsulated in a space ship and the other resides within.

    The scifi classic 'Dune' (Frank Herbert) is actually all about political intrigue that happens to be set in the far future. Ironically, because of technology, hand-to-hand combat has become a critical skill again.

    What is probably the most pure science story that is none-the-less, in my mind, a great mystery, is "The Mote in God's Eye" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. It is a 'first contact' story where a space faring human civilization meets with a highly technological, but due to a quirk of fate, non-space faring (at least, outside their solar system) race of aliens. I like that these aliens are truly alien and their behaviors remain inscrutable until the mystery is resolved.

    Science fiction is really no different than historicals, it is just about setting a mood for the normal tropes of story telling.

    ReplyDelete